Applications / User Benefits
Innomar's narrow beam parametric sub-bottom profilers are used worldwide for many tasks and applications during marine explorations and investigations:
- Geological and geophysical explorations
- Sediment investigation campaigns for dredging projects
- Route surveys for pipeline and cable laying projects
- Search for mineral resources
- Surveys in small and (ultra) shallow waters, harbours, flood gates, shore zones
- Search for objects like wrecks, pipelines, sea cables, navigation obstacles, boulders
- Archaeological investigations for wrecks, historical buildings and settlements
- Water column imaging / gas seepage monitoring
Advantages of Parametric SBP / User Benefits
Using nonlinear acoustics for sub-bottom profiling gives the following advantages compared to linear sound generation:
- Narrow sound beams at low frequencies with small and portable transducers, the half-power beam width is nearly the same for all generated frequencies.
- There are no side lobes for the low-frequent sound beam during transmission.
- Very short sound pings without significant ringing effects can be transmitted.
- Detection of sediment layers and objects with high resolution plus accurate water depth determination due to high-frequent channel of primary frequencies.
- Good sediment penetration (depending on material, water depth, frequency and environmental conditions).
- Mobile systems with user-friendly control software for the employment on small ships, usable also in shallow waters and in complicated areas.
- Digitally stored data with excellent, reliable results with online data analysis and extended post processing capabilities.
Related Documents and Publications
- Parametric Technology for High Resolution Sub-bottom Profiling
(Published in Offshore Technology International 1/2009)
- Wunderlich, J.; Müller, S. (2003): High-resolution sub-bottom profiling using parametric acoustics. International Ocean Systems, Vol. 7 No. 4, 2003, pp. 6-11.