Applications / User Benefits
Innomar's narrow beam parametric sub-bottom profilers are used worldwide for many tasks and applications during marine explorations and investigations:
- Geological and geophysical explorations
- Sediment investigation campaigns for dredging projects
- Route surveys for pipeline and cable laying projects
- Search for mineral resources
- Surveys in small and (ultra) shallow waters, harbours, flood gates, shore zones
- Search for objects like wrecks, pipelines, sea cables, navigation obstacles, boulders
- Archaeological investigations for wrecks, historical buildings and settlements
- Water column imaging / gas seepage monitoring
Advantages of Parametric SBP / User Benefits
The Innomar paramatric sub-bottom profilers generate the low-frequency sound beam due to non-linear interaction of two high-intensity sound beams at higher frequencies in the water column beneath the thransducer. Compared to conventional (linear) sound generation this gives the following advantages:
- Narrow sound beams at low frequencies with small and portable transducers.
- For the same beamwidth the transducer size (area) is typically reduced by a factor of 100, depending on frequencies.
- The half-power beam width is nearly the same for all generated frequencies.
- There are no distinct side lobes for the low-frequent sound beam during transmission, the beam tapers off smoothly. This avoids ambiguities caused by sidelobe-generated spurious signals.
- The high relative bandwidth (80%) results in very short sound pings without significant ringing effects.
- Detection of sediment layers and objects with high resolution.
- Accurate water depth determination due to high-frequent channel of primary frequencies.
- Lower received reverberation levels, resulting in better penetration.
Compared to conventional towed systems there are additional benefits of the hull- or pole-mounted parametric transducers like
- no deployment or recovery of tow fishes,
- better position accuracy,
- higher availability due to increased weather window,
- better survey efficiency due to higher possible survey speed,
- improved vessel manoeuvrability.
Related Documents and Publications
- Parametric Technology for High Resolution Sub-bottom Profiling
(Published in Offshore Technology International 1/2009)
- Wunderlich, J.; Müller, S. (2003): High-resolution sub-bottom profiling using parametric acoustics. International Ocean Systems, Vol. 7 No. 4, 2003, pp. 6-11.